I’ve got a clone in Vienna
Scene: yesterday evening, in a subway station, waiting for one of my last* daily rides on U6.
Suddenly a tall and skinny woman on his forties (I guess) begins to yell something like a name, and approaches me with open arms.
Then follows three endless seconds where:
– I turn my head to see who’s the person behind me, but… there’s NOBODY behind me.
– my brain elaborates at least ten reasons why a unknown woman should approach me in that way, and none of them are really encouraging.
– I start to take a better look at her, maybe I SHOULD know this person. I damn my perpetual inability to remember faces.
– I resign to get through this “unusual” meeting.
But… at not more than 1 meter of distance to me, the woman realizes I’m not the person she believes. She turns red and excuses. To relieve her uncomfortable condition, I use my well tested “dummy tourist” formula and tell her “mi spiace, non parlo tedesco**”.
The sense of the story? Well, I’ve got a clone in Vienna!
* Why last? An explanatory post will come next week. Stay tuned :)
** Sorry, I don’t speak German.